For those of you who want to root and install custom ROMs, you will want to root your Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge with TWRP recovery.
This method is ONLY for Android 5.0.1 or 5.0.2, for Android 5.1.1, please see our update root method on How to root Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge on Android 5.1.1!
This is the preferred method since it will root and install TWRP recovery simultaneously on your Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge and will work on ALL Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge models except AT&T SM-G920A, SM-G925A and Verizon SM-G920V, SM-G925V since they have locked bootloaders (unless you got the developer’s edition). If you don’t neeed TWRP recovery, you just want root, then follow How to Root Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge instead.
This root method works on the following models:
- SM-G920F, SM-G925F (international)
- SM-G920I, SM-G925I (international)
- SM-G920K, SM-G925K (KT Olleh Korean)
- SM-G920L, SM-G925L (LG U+ Korean)
- SM-G920S, SM-G925S (SK Telecom Korean)
- SM-G920P, SM-G925P (Sprint)
- SM-G920T, SM-G925T (U.S. T-Mobile)
- SM-G920R4 SM-G925R4 (US Cellular)
- SM-G920T1, SM-G925T1
- SM-G920W8, SM-G920W8 (Canadian)
Step 1. Power off your Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge then hold down Volume Down, Center Home, and Power buttons together until you see a warning screen like shown below:
Join the HighOnAndroid VIP Fans List for free help from Max and discounts on Android accessories.